As ocean lovers ourselves, we at Water Gallery are always on the search for unique gifts for the special people in our lives and we are particularly drawn to gifts that highlight the ocean and marine life in some beautiful and meaningful way. And if purchasing that gift gives back to the environment in some way, shape, or form, all the better! As the holiday season approaches, we have gifts on the brain. So, with that in mind, we have compiled a list of eco-friendly, unique gift ideas for any occasion. Our Water Gallery bottles are included in the list, of course-- we believe we are the ideal gift for the ocean lover in your life. But this list also covers the gamut from eco-friendly clothing to adventure to kid-friendly items...we think you'll get some great ideas here!
1) One of the coolest gifts you could ever get for an ocean enthusiast is a piece of the ocean...literally! Through the Ocean Registry (oceanregistry.com), you can browse different areas of the ocean and if a particular area hasn't been "claimed" yet, you can actually purchase a designated portion of the ocean. It's a program similar to the "adopt a highway" program (when you buy part of a highway, your money goes to cleaning that highway area and planting wild flowers/maintaining the greenery around it). With the Ocean Registry, you can choose your GPS location, register, and you will receive a certificate indicating the exact coordinates of your piece of the ocean! This is an incredible gift for the ocean lover in your life, especially since 50% of the purchase price goes to non-profits working to protect and conserve our seas.
2) United By Blue unitedbyblue.com is a really great website featuring all sorts of ocean and nautical-themed apparel for men, women, and children. They care passionately about the health of our country's bodies of water and beaches, so much so that for every item that is sold from their website, a pound of trash is cleaned from our nation's waterways through company organized clean-ups. As of this moment, United By Blue is responsible for almost 250,000 pounds of waste cleaned from US rivers, lakes, creeks, and beaches-- incredible. They are also a B Corps-certified company, a community of businesses which all aim to be leaders in the environmental realm (click here to read more about B Corps). If you're looking for clothing, handbags, backpacks, and the like, United By Blue is a great option.
3) Eco Sea Tile is an interesting company which offers a variety of beautiful tile alternatives made from over 50% post-consumer waste materials, primarily excess sea shells from jewelry-making and seafood-processing plants. It may sound strange to buy tiles for your home made out of recycled materials, like discarded shells, but the end result looks remarkably similar to granite. They also offer small gifts of other sorts, such as drink coasters, electric outlet covers, paper weights, door knobs, and wine stoppers, all made from post-consumer waste (and all the waste they use meet a standard for recycled building products, which you can read more about on their website). While these particular gifts may not be for everyone, for that beach lover who is also really dedicated to being eco-friendly, Eco Sea Tile's products would be a really unique and exciting surprise.
4) Looking for an eco-friendly and original gift for a child? Although not directly related to the ocean, we love environmentally-aware companies-- less waste means less waste in our seas! Green Kid Crafts has a fun option for that kid in your life who is obsessed with arts and crafts. Although kids' crafts are notoriously NOT eco-friendly, this carbon neutral-certified company, which is also a member of 1% for the Planet, has come up with a cool way to give kids a crafty gift that is educational and mindful of the environment. Green Kid Crafts offers a monthly membership where the child of your choice will be delivered a small discovery box filled with environmentally responsible crafts and learning activities. Check out their website greenkidcrafts.com to learn more.
5) Another fantastic gift to give to the ocean lover in your life is a year-long membership to a local aquarium, nature center, national park, or similar organization. Essentially, you're giving someone the gift of experience and exploration! Additionally, it's so important and feels so good to support local organizations and it's a guarantee that the money you spend on your membership will go to a good cause. Not only that, but most of these memberships are tax-deductible, which is a benefit to purchasing that kind of gift. The marine life enthusiasts and the nature and ocean lovers in your life will be so appreciative!
6) And of course we would be remiss if we didn't mention Water Gallery glass water bottles in this post. Beautiful and unique (if we do say so ourselves), eco-friendly, and a company committed to giving back to environmental causes, such as 1% for the Planet and the Wyland Foundation...what's not to love?
So, we think we've got you covered for several upcoming holidays and birthdays this year. We'll bet that you're going to have a lot of happy friends and family if you opt for anything from this list!