We can all make some changes in our everyday lives in order to help our oceans! Here are some great ways to celebrate World Oceans Day on June 8th and spread the word about smart environmental choices:
1) Just as Long Beach, California has completely eliminated the use of plastic bags for purchased items in all major food and retail stores, you can make this change too, wherever you live! Take the "Better Bag Challenge" and refrain from using plastic bags for a full year. Bring reusable cloth bags with you whenever you go shopping. Encourage your family, friends, co-workers, and neighbors to take on the same challenge.
2) Coordinate a "clean-up" of your favorite local spot-- a park, a beach, a school yard, a lake front, etc.-- with fellow community members. Pack a trash-free picnic and have some fun while making a difference in your area.
3) Throw a dinner party serving only sustainable seafood. Educate your guests on what seafood is the best choice in terms of sustainability and pass out your favorite sustainable seafood recipes as a party gift.
4) Carry a reusable water bottle! There's nothing more dangerous for our oceans than plastic and the best way to start reducing plastic use is eliminating single-use plastic bottles from your life. A glass water bottle or a stainless steel water bottle is a great solution.
5) Change your social media cover picture to one that displays the World Oceans Day 2015 banner with the theme "Healthy Oceans, Healthy Planet." Write a post about World Oceans Day to spread awareness amongst your friends and families and encourage them to share your post.
6) Make World Oceans Day a part of your daily conversation by choosing to wear blue on June 8th. Tell your friends, family, and co-workers why you're wearing blue, what World Oceans Day is about, and ask them to spread the word. Knowledge is power!
Remember, even small gestures count. Thanks for taking the time to consider the importance of our oceans and what ocean conservation means to our planet as a whole.