Did you know that the average person throws away over four pounds of garbage every day? Think of the effect of that staggering fact on our landfills and our water ways. We should all challenge ourselves to create less trash.There are many simple and easy ways to reduce our waste:
1) When packing your child's, your spouse's, or your own lunch to take to school or work, choose washable, reusable containers for all food as well as a reusable tote or lunch bag.
2) Carry a reusable water bottle every day, wherever you go.
3) Stay away from single-serve packages of any sort-- individual chip bags, snack bags, granola bars, energy bars, and so forth. Buy in bulk whenever possible.
4) Bring reusable cloth bags with you to the grocery store on all shopping trips.
5) Be aware of how much food you and your family regularly consume and try to prepare accordingly. A large portion of our garbage bins are filled with discarded food, which is bad for the environment and wasteful on many levels.
As always, reduce, reuse, recycle! Small, everyday changes can make a big difference.