Check out how much water we all tend to use on a daily basis!
3-7 gallons for the toilet
25-30 gallons for the bath tub
50-70 gallons for a 10-minute shower
1 washing machine load uses 25-40 gallons
1 dishwasher load uses 9-12 gallons
That's a whole lot of water. How can we cut down on our in-home water usage? Here are 10 ways we can make a difference in our daily water use:
1) Never use the toilet as a "waste basket" by flushing tissues or other paper products down.
2) Check for leaky faucets throughout the house. Do an experiment by not using any water for two hours, followed by a water meter check. If there's any water usage indicated after that two hours, you have a leak somewhere.
3) Only use the washing machine and dishwasher when you absolutely have to and always do full loads.
4) Install water-saving shower heads and low-flush toilets.
5) Capture your shower water to use for watering your plants. It's a great idea to keep a large bucket somewhere in your bathroom and use the bucket to capture the excess water while you're letting your shower water heat up.
6) Don't rely on your kitchen sink garbage disposal to dispose of food waste unless necessary. Start a compost bin in your backyard for food waste.
7) When washing dishes or cleaning vegetables, don't let your water just run continuously. Turn it on and off as you go.
8) Keep a glass water bottle of water at the ready in the fridge for drinking. Running the tap to cool off the water from sink faucet is wasteful; a nice cool bottle of water in the fridge saves both time and water.
9) Take shorter showers! Aim for 3-5 minutes whenever possible.
10) Never let the bathroom sink faucet run when brushing your teeth or washing your face. Never let the shower water run while shaving.
We can't always follow the above list to a tee. Remember, we're not looking for PERFECTION, but rather PROGRESS. Pick at least five of these things to do on a daily basis and it will make an impact.As always, reduce, reuse, and recycle! Small, everyday changes can make a big difference.