Although it's important to be grateful every single day of the year (gratitude is so imperative for living a truly full life), it always seems that the holidays bring out the desire to reflect on all that you have. In times of worldwide struggle and fear, it's easy to get mired in negativity, angst, and frustration. For some of us it actually takes discipline and daily resolve to be "thankful." Life can often be exhausting and feeling bogged down can tend to be many people's "set point." But it's so rewarding and, really, necessary to take some time to truly look at your life and illuminate the good stuff. So with Thanksgiving occurring this week (today, to be precise), we are making our gratitude list...and our goal is to look at this list every day of 2017 to remind ourselves what we have to be thankful for.
1) We are thankful for the incredibly humbling (and often difficult) role we've undertaken as owners of our own business. As hard as it can be to be at the helm of a ship with so much precious cargo, so to speak, the rewards are greater than we've ever experienced before professionally.
2) We are thankful to be able to do work that matters. With every sale of a piece of Water Gallery drinkware, a portion goes to environmental foundations. It feels so, so good to give back while doing work that we love.
3) We are thankful for art. Artistic beauty enhances life in so many ways, from being intellectually-stimulating, calming, memory-inducing, inspiring, emotive, beautiful to the eye, and more.
4) We are thankful for the world's oceans, marine life, and treasured beaches. Without this kind of natural beauty, the world would be a dark, empty place.
5) We are thankful for our health. With good health comes the ability to do good work, experience the world's wonders, and feel the freedom that comes with being able to look forward with optimism.
6) We are thankful to be able to live and work in beautiful Southern California. Despite the smog, the traffic, and the drought (honesty doesn't necessarily equate with negativity; only until we acknowledge the world's problems can we begin to address them!), it's a really wonderful place to live, with a moderate climate, interesting culture, and a host of natural resources.
7) We are thankful for family. There isn't a day that goes by that we don't give thanks for the health and happiness of our children, our parents, our siblings, and each other.
8) We are thankful for technology, which gives us the opportunity to reach out and connect with so many people worldwide. We love hearing diverse opinions, inspiring stories, and personal thoughts from so many folks with whom we'd never have connected ten or twenty years ago.
9) We are thankful for the phrase "this too shall pass," which has gotten us through so many tough times, both personally and professionally. Because it always does-- the pendulum always swings back, the sun always rises again, there's always a new day on the horizon. Staying positive is key.
10) Finally, we're thankful to be on this planet, living and breathing every day! Ready each day to design, create, progress, and love! Life is beautiful, even when it's hard-- sometimes the hardest times produce the most remarkable lessons. Today and every day, we are thankful for all life has to give.